Press "Enter" to skip to content

Overtime victory lofts Gulls to first conference win


Staff Writer

Sophomore midfielder Alex Pryor scored the game winning goal in overtime as the Salisbury women’s soccer team won 3-2 in a Capital Athletic Conference matchup against Penn St.- Harrisburg at the SU Soccer Complex Saturday afternoon.

Despite the Sea Gulls (7-2, 1-0 CAC) outshooting their opponent, 33-8, and achieving eight more corner kicks, the Penn St.-Harrisburg Lions (1-5-1, 0-1 CAC) were aggressive throughout the game staying up to speed with Salisbury. The Lions went on the board first, only ten minutes into the game with an unassisted goal by sophomore midfielder Kylie Courtney who kicked the ball in off a deflection from sophomore goalkeeper Ellen Anderson.

It didn’t take long for Salisbury to answer back with a score of their own. Senior forward Jenna DeLetto had the ball deflected off her where junior midfielder Jayne Pinsky shot the ball in for the equalizer.

The Sea Gulls kept their focus scoring only four minutes later where senior defender Heather Group sent the ball into the box letting junior midfielder Erin McQuate take the deflected ball and score from the inside middle. Salisbury managed to get two corners in the first half, but no conversions were made.

The Lions finished with three corners; one of which was successful. With under five minutes remaining in the first half, Courtney kicked a corner to senior defender Kristin Peckman who headed it into the goal for the second tie of the match.

Sea Gulls head coach, Kwame Lloyd felt his team did need some improvement in certain aspects, one being their communication.

“It’s not soccer, but instead the mental side of the game, and we didn’t mentally prepare well enough to battle today,” Lloyd said. “I think we were pretty intense and we went in, but it was just the mental errors that we made.”

Sophomore goalkeeper Hope Knussman came in for Anderson to start the second half, making Penn St.-Harrisburg make adjustments.

Salisbury attempted to score, but was stopped as the Lions’ senior goalkeeper Samantha Kutcher interfered with a breakaway goal attempt by junior midfielder Jenny Gavigan. The foul resulted in a red card for Kutcher, giving Gavigan a free kick that went wide right.

The game remained tied at the end of regulation and went to overtime. McQuate chipped the ball to the top of the box after the Sea Gulls attempted four back to back corners where Pryor finally was able to kick it into the left of the net.

“When the ball went in, I was like finally,” Pryor said. “It wasn’t the best game we ever played, but we did come out with the win, so at the end that’s all that matters and we kind of have to go from there.”

Lloyd knew his team was the better team through their perseverance. He still  gave credit to Penn St.-Harrisburg for playing their best in the game.

“Penn St. came out there and executed their game playing very well,” Lloyd said. “We didn’t utilize our opportunities, but we went out with the lineup that we had going into the overtime. It’s more about taking advantage of those opportunities and at the end we did. We were very proud of that.”

Salisbury’s next home game is Tuesday with another CAC opponent; Marymount University. The match is the second in a three-game conference stretch.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: