BY CLAIRE HUSHON
College provides students with many freedoms, however driving isn’t always one of them.
One thing many students have to adjust to when they come to school is lack of transportation.
But those students don’t always know of all of the convenient, and oftentimes discounted, transportation options available at Salisbury University.
Just because you had to leave your car at home doesn’t mean you can’t travel, just take a look at the list of transportation options below and pick the one that works best for you!
- UBER. Uber is the one of the most customizable modes of transportation for SU students and it’s easy to use, all that’s needed is a credit card and a smartphone. Just download the app, set a pickup and drop off location and wait for the driver to arrive. Uber will provide a picture of the driver and a description of the car so the passenger knows who and what to look for. As a bonus, it’s easy to score free rides when friends sign up with your code!
- SHORE TRANSIT. Shore Transit is a public bus system with over 200 bus stops in the area, according to their website. One way fares are reasonably priced at $3. If you’d like a ride to University Park, University Orchard or University Village, the bus will pick you up right outside of Maggs Gym or Perdue Hall. The bus system even has routes to Ocean City for those warm spring days.
- ZIPCAR. Zipcar is a worldwide car service that lets people borrow cars by the hour or the day, gas and insurance are even included in the price. Students apply for $15, which is $10 less than the normal fee. The first step is to apply for the program. If approved, members receive a Zipcard that unlocks a Zipcar by holding it up to the windshield. Cars are reserved online or on Zipcar’s mobile app. To return it, just park the car in the same spot when the scheduled time is almost up. There are Zipcars waiting at University Park!
- DOWTOWN SALISBURY TROLLEY. The Downtown Trolley is a convenient and safe way to get to downtown Salisbury on the weekends and its extremely inexpensive-it only costs a dollar to ride! The trolley runs from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. Thursday through Saturday and starts its route in front of Perdue Hall. It makes stops at University Park and University Orchard before travelling to hot spots like Evolution Public House, Headquarters Live and Brew River.
- SALISBURY TAXI. The Salisbury Taxi Company is a taxi service that runs 24 hours a day, seven days a week. They can be reached at (410) 742-6666 for rates and prices.