BY MEGAN MAHEDY
There’s nothing quite like crispy, warm, fresh homemade bread- especially when you bake it yourself.
Fresh-baked homemade bread is inexpensive, healthier and environmentally friendlier than the store bought stuff, not to mention it tastes incredible.
This bread comes out to have a dense, crispy edge, sourdough-like texture. I use this bread for breakfast toasted with some butter, mashed avocado, and a poached egg on top with Himalayan salt and pepper.
- 1 large bowl
- Cookie tray
- Aluminum foil
- 3 Cups All Purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 cup of warm water
- 3 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of butter
- Add flour, sugar, salt and yeast to the large bowl and mix well.
- Once mixed well, melt the butter into the warm water, and while continuously mixing, slowly add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients.
- You should begin to see the dough getting sticky and shaping together. Begin to knead the dough into a ball-like shape.
- Put dough on a clean surface, floured surface and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- After 10 minutes, cut the dough into two. Then begin to roll those two pieces out to about 12 inches long.
- Braid together under fold the edges.
- To have a crispier top, melt a bit of butter and coat the top of the bread before baking.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F. Once finished, broil for about three minutes until the bread develops a crispy, golden brown top.